1. Education
Lee Jamieson

Cast Yourself!

By February 17, 2009

Do you have a life ambition to play a particular character from one of Shakespeare's plays? Given the chance, who would you most like to play?

I, like most males with a theater background, would snap up the part of Hamlet because there’s so much going on from an acting perspective. Balancing Hamlet’s madness, grief, hatred and desire requires a feat of acting (which I’m probably not capable of). However, I think I’d be so terrified that I’d turn the part down unless I had at least a year to rehearse.

Macbeth has always appealed to me. I think that the idea of a man “getting in too deep” because of key failings in his character would be very interesting from a performance perspective. Sadly, I’m inflicted with a skinny, weak looking body – surely, nobody would ever cast me in this role.

Looks like I’ll have to settle for Bottom from A Midsummer Night’s Dream. No bad thing.

Tell us which character you were born to play on About.com. What’s your dream role and why?

Photo © NYPL Digital Gallery

Comments

February 18, 2009 at 7:01 pm
(1) Emm says:

The two biggies are Richard II and Falstaff– both of which I have played (although I am a woman). I would love a chance to do them both again, or do Falstaff in part 2. Hamlet would by far be the most amazing– though Claudius was not bad. Iago or Lady M would probably be next on my list.

February 18, 2009 at 8:48 pm
(2) Wade says:

One of my fondest memories of all time:

Playing Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet. It’s the best part in the whole play. You get to be energetic, intoxicated, the life of the party — but then you die early on and get to spend the rest of the time relaxing back stage.

February 18, 2009 at 11:43 pm
(3) makena131 says:

My favorites are Puck from A Midsummer Nights Dream, Beatrice from Much Ado About Nothing, and my ALL TIME DREAM Katherine from The Taming of the Shrew. there is just so much fire and personality in these characters that it would be so much fun!

February 20, 2009 at 1:47 pm
(4) Squidblob says:

Definitely Benedick from Much Ado about Nothing, because my office is full of witty ball-busters, and I’d like some of his lines to fire back at them.

February 21, 2009 at 7:22 pm
(5) Robert C. says:

If not on Broadway, I got to play my favorite character. Marcus Brutus in
“Julius Caesar”. What an honor.

February 22, 2009 at 3:40 pm
(6) Sherri says:

I think that Hermia would be fun, along with the physical play in a Midsummer Night’s Dream. I also would enjoy playing the transition of Ophelia in Hamlet from sanity to insanity.

February 24, 2009 at 10:07 am
(7) Brad says:

As for title roles, I’d go with Henry V–the successful king–or Richard III–the deliciously malevolent king. Honestly, however, I feel the supporting roles would be more enjoyable. Jacques, from As You Like It, or the Bastard from King John would offer tremendous challenges to any actor.

February 27, 2009 at 8:43 pm
(8) PlaywrightCyn says:

I’m a playwright, but at the Actor’s Studio Drama School I had to take the same classes as the actors; writing is acting the page. I was often told, to the chagrin of many of the actors, that I had real talent. The problem was I didn’t get the kick out of acting I do from writing and I hate memorizing lines.

But if given the chance I would love to play Queen Margaret in a production that spanned from 2 Henry VI to Richard the III. Margaret is the only Shakespearean character who we see from young girl to old crone; and what a character she is! Talk about a role to sink your teeth into; I’ve always seen it as the female equivalent of Hamlet.